Last Updated on
|Heidi Moretti, MS, RD|
Certified Clinical Dietitian
I am often asked for my opinion on anti aging supplements. As a clinical dietitian and a researcher, anti aging has always been one of my greatest passions, and as such, I spend a lot of time looking into the literature and studies.
The good news is that research in the field of epigenetics has shown us that our lifestyle choices can turn off “bad genes” and activate protective and longevity genes, allowing us to significantly extend our lifespan and improve our quality of life.
So based on your many requests, here it is! My latest anti-aging protocol, including my favorite anti-aging supplements, diet, recipes, and lifestyle strategies.
Voted as best supplements & diet guide for men and women over 40.
“Beauty From Within”: My Natural Protocol for Graceful Aging
I like to think of anti aging beyond wrinkles and skin tightening.
Yes, these are all important, and we all want flawless skin! So obviously, my protocol supports healthy glowing skin.
But, I feel there’s much more to anti aging than making our skin look young.
When I approach anti aging, I look into graceful aging, beauty from within, with evidence-based anti aging strategies shown to:
- Activate longevity genes
- Protect from DNA damage
- Reduce oxidative stress
- Support healthy mitochondria function
- Support a stronger immune system
When you support these key anti-aging pathways, you may notice:
- Look and feel younger
- Glowing skin, better complexion
- More energy
- Better focus and cognitive function
- Higher sense of well-being and mood
- Feel healthy and vibrant
Starting the Anti Aging Protocol
- The anti-aging supplements below offer one of the immediate ways to activate the body’s natural longevity pathways.
- My protocol goes above and beyond anti-aging supplements, though.
I also cover my favorite anti-aging diet, snacks, smoothie and lifestyle, all backed up by the latest research to support longevity.
- With that said, there’s no need to start with all of these steps at the same time. Choose the ones you feel more comfortable with, and gradually include more steps as a part your transition to anti-aging living.
1. Best Anti Aging Supplements: Dr. Group’s Cell-Fuzion
I find that certain nutrients have impressive anti-aging potential. With that said, I like to focus on unique nutrients we can’t get from our diet, to compliment the anti-aging diet.
In other words, enrich your diet with anti-aging whole foods, and take supplements with those proven anti aging nutrients you can’t get from foods.
Cell-Fuzion by Dr. Group is my favorite overall anti-aging complex supplement. Just like you take a multivitamin for overall health, think about Cell-Fuzion as a multi anti-aging complex.
Cell Fuzion Summary
- Formula includes some of the top studied extracts, in the same patented extracts used in studies. The source of active ingredients matters in terms of effectiveness, potency and also safety.
- Ingredients support multiple longevity pathways, saving you the need to stack dozens of anti aging supplements, or having to worry about interactions between ingredients.
- Clean label: 100% natural, organic or wild grown ingredients, no artificial fillers, or chemicals.
- One year money back guarantee. That’s a big one, considering it is pricey.
Cell-Fuzion Ingredients Analysis
- Orgen-P®‡ (Organic Pomegranate Extract).
Potent antioxidant with a high ORAC value of 187,900 µmoleTE/ 100gm.
Rich source of Urolithin, a molecule that enables muscle cells to protect themselves against aging.
- Organic Astragalus.
Can help to increase telomerase activity which may help delay or reverse the cellular aging process.
Shown in studies to mimic caloric restriction, which is the most known anti aging strategy suggested to extend lifespan.
A potent neuromodulator in aging, supports healthy cognitive function and memory as we age.[5,6]
- Bio-Enhanced® Na R-Lipoic acid.
Shown to activate the basic cellular defenses of the body, including some of those that naturally decline with age.
The Bio-Enhanced form is shown to have superior absorption and improved oral bioavailability.
- CoQ10 (ubiquinone).
The primary antioxidant in human cells that protect and support mitochondria function. May also have cardioprotective effects.
- BioPQQ® (pyrroloquinoline quinone disodium salt).
Shown to stimulate mitochondrial biogenesis, the cellular process that produces new mitochondria..
- Orgen-GT®‡ (Organic Green Tea Extract).
Potent antioxidant, standardized for 90% polyphenols, very high ORAC value of 1,000,000 μmoleTE/100gm. Shown to lower DNA damage in humans.[10,11].
- Rhodiola Rosea extract.
Shown to have natural anti-stress, anti-aging effect, may also support DNA repair and healthy immune function..
Directions: take two capsules two times daily.
2. Anti Aging Diet
While there is no one anti-aging diet that works best for everyone, there are a few basic principles shown to play a significant role in aging, which most people can benefit from.
Simply put, we limit damaging foods shown to accelerate aging, and introduce more foods with anti-aging properties.
- Avoid: processed foods, processed meat, sugary drinks, and fried foods. All related to chronic disease and decreased lifespan. All make us look old and tired. Yes, it’s that simple!
- Limit common inflammatory foods: especially: dairy and gluten (wheat). While every person may be sensitive to different foods, many people have problems digesting dairy and gluten. So, try to eliminate both for four weeks. There’s a good chance you will notice dramatic improvements in the appearance of your skin, and the way you feel.
Generally speaking, if you experience digestive issues on an ongoing basis despite eating healthy, I highly recommend you should work with your doctor and get tested for food sensitivities.
- Eat less carbs: a growing body of evidence link low insulin levels to increased longevity. So, the less carbs you eat, the better. This doesn’t mean going full blown ketosis, however.
- Focus on nutrient dense plant-based whole foods: simply put: these plants have more nutrients and antioxidants, yet, contain less carbs and calories. Most people can benefit from eating more: veggies, dark leafy greens, and low glycemic fruits. See my top anti-aging foods section below for my favorites.
- Eat from the rainbow: look for colorful fruits and veggies, each color represents a different plant pigment that offers different nutrients and antioxidants.
- Cut meat intake: studies that looked into eating habits of adults in North America and Europe, found that very low meat intake is associated with greater longevity.
These findings correlate with the research data on the Mediterranean diet, a traditional way of eating that also practices low meat intake, well known for its anti-aging benefits.
My Top Anti-Aging Foods
Make sure to check my favorite anti aging snacks and smoothie recipe below!
Reishi, the Longevity Mushroom
Reishi has been viewed as a longevity elixir since Chinese ancient times. According to research, reishi contains unique bioactive components with potent life extending potential. In particular, the polysaccharides, triterpenes and peptides found in reishi have demonstrated powerful antioxidant, immune system support and anti-neurodegeneration effects in studies.
Just like any herb, the source matters. There are many moving parts that have to be taken into consideration to make sure you get a high quality, effective and safe Reishi.
From the location it was grown, the parts of the plant used in making the extract, how the extract was made, freshness, purity, and more. So, always get your reishi (or other herbs) from a source you trust.
A good source of reishi I use: Hawaiian Medicine Foods Organic Reishi.
Anti-Aging Foods You Should Eat Every Day
- Dark leafy greens such as spinach, kale, romaine lettuce, and dandelion greens. Simply put, go to your local store, and get the freshest preferably organic greens you love eating.
- Cruciferous vegetables and my favorite, raw broccoli sprouts, are very high in sulforaphane, which may help to increase cellular lifespan and prevent neurodegeneration.
- Berries: blueberries, raspberries, blackberries and strawberries.
One cup a day or more. Always choose organic to avoid herbicides and pesticides.
- Mediterranean healthy fats. Essential for brain longevity, beautiful skin and to support healthy aging overall including a decreased risk of chronic disease. Good options include raw fresh sprouted nuts, seeds, avocados, olive oil, and wild small fatty fish such as salmon.
- Brazil nuts & Selenium:
Selenium is an essential trace mineral shown to have potent anti-aging properties, mainly due to its ability to reduce DNA damage and prolong telomere length..
Brazil nuts are by far the richest source of Selenium. One nut a day (5 grams) provides 150% of your daily value of selenium. If for some reason you can’t eat brazil nuts, consider taking natural selenium supplements.
Dr. Group Organic selenium is a good example made from from certified organic mustard seeds.
- Fermented foods such as sauerkraut and kimchi help to promote a healthy gut microbiome. 80% of our immune system resides in the gut, so as a part of our anti-aging living, it is essential that we nourish our gut with healthy nutrients that promote good bacteria growth. When needed, take probiotics.
- Dark raw chocolate: high in polyphenols shown to have antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties. Can also release nitric oxide (NO) which may offer vasodilation and cardioprotective effects.
The Ultimate Anti Aging Snack
Many chocolate bars on the market are heavily processed or full of sugars, even the natural vegan ones. So you end up with a ton of sugar and very little polyphenols or antioxidants.
If you are a dark chocolate fan that is passionate about anti-aging, always look for dark, raw, low sugar, and organic options.
Hawaiian Medicinal Foods Lovers Bar is one of my favorite anti aging chocolate bars. I find it a tasty powerful anti-aging treat that helps to support my mood, energy levels, and anti-aging living. Low in sugar, yet tasty enough to satisfy my picky chocolate loving taste buds.
A little deeper analysis of the ingredients:
- Made from the highly prized Arriba cacao beans variety in a process that preserves the nutrients and antioxidants.
- Longevity medicinal mushrooms: reishi
- Adaptogens herbs such as maca and ashwagandha that helps to control stress.
- Mucuna that helps to naturally boost dopamine levels, known to support a youthful sense of well-being.
My Anti-aging Chocolate Smoothie
Just like any recipe, feel free to experiment and modify based on your unique needs. Personally, I find it a better fit for the earlier parts of the day as it does boost my physical and mental energy.
Anti-aging Chocolate Smoothie
- 1 cup mixed berries, my favorites: blueberries antioxidants
- 2 oz fresh nuts, my favorites: walnuts, almonds or hazelnuts healthy fats, flavor
- 1 scoop Hawaiian Medicinal Foods Cacao Elixir antioxidants, polyphenols, energy, mood, and chocolate flavor
- 1 scoop Hawaiian Medicinal Reishi Mushroom high in polysaccharides shown to extend lifespan
- 1 cup almond milk unsweetened
- 1 medium banana flavor, texture, energy, fiber
- 1 cup spinach phytonutrients
- 1/2 cup broccoli sprouts sulforaphane, optional
- Throw everything into the blender, drink, and enjoy!
3. Calorie Restriction: Eat Less, Live Longer
Calorie restriction is the most studied experimental intervention for extending lifespan. The idea with calorie restriction is to reduce energy intake (calories), but still supply the body all the nutrients it needs. So we are not risking nutritional deficiencies.
Since humans live longer and are more complex, it is easier to test caloric restriction on animals. So far, studies have shown that a 20 – 50% reduction in caloric intake was able to extend lifespan by up to 50%.
Even more exciting, is the fact that caloric restriction data in humans (while still limited), show the same metabolic and molecular adaptations..
So what’s the catch? Calorie restriction can be unpleasant and difficult to sustain. With less calories, we may lack the needed energy and motivation to thrive and reach our full potential. We can still function and even live longer, but, our quality of life and way of living may not be the same.
- I believe we can all benefit from some degree of mild caloric restriction, but I am not sure it is realistic long term.
- Certain ingredients found in Cell-Fuzion, are shown to stimulate the same longevity pathways that are activated during caloric restrictions, without you actually having to restrict your calories.
4. Intermittent Fasting & Time-Restricted Eating
New research has emerged showing that intermittent fasting may offer some of the benefits of calorie restriction, without the discomforts. According to the data, not only does intermittent fasting tend to reduce calories naturally, it can also turn on Sirtuin longevity genes.
In fact. many people find they feel even better with intermittent fasting despite consuming less calories.
A few examples of popular intermittent fasting protocols:
- 16 hours fasting each day, 8 hours eating: for example, you eat between 9am to 5pm, or skip breakfast, and eat between 11am-7pm
- OMAD: one meal a day, may sound extreme, but it is getting very popular, especially if you prefer to eat larger meals.
To get started, it is best to ease yourself into intermittent fasting by simply skipping breakfast for a few days. Also limit processed foods and high carb foods as much as you can. The cleaner your diet, the easier it usually is to practice intermittent fasting.
If you are pregnant, on medication, have diabetes or other conditions, use caution with intermittent fasting and consult with your healthcare provider before.
5. Anti-aging Lifestyle
The basics pillars of healthy aging:
Get enough sleep
Sleep is deeply essential to every process in your body. Lack of sleep can lead to premature aging and chronic disease. While most adults need at least seven hours of sleep, you may find you need up to nine hours to be at your best. So listen to your body and make sure you are prioritizing sleep in order to optimize your anti-aging potential.
In the past, the fight or flight stress response was essential in order to survive. Think about our ancestors hunting and gathering when all of a sudden a saber tooth tiger showed up.
That stress response, however, doesn’t serve us well if we are under constant stress, which is a known issue in our modern life. With so many studies linking chronic stress to disease, it is essential to have it under control.
Healthy stress management tools include: breathing exercises, meditation, yoga, exercise, spending more time in nature, and many others. The key takeaway: be mindful about your stress levels and include some stress management activities in your daily routine.
Exercise & movement
Exercise is shown to activate the body’s anti-aging genes, reduce inflammation, balance mood and stress, support healthy sleep, boost immunity, and so much more.
The great thing about exercise, is that to get these benefits, you don’t need to join a gym or do a physically challenging routine. So long gone are the days where you need to trudge on a treadmill, (unless this is what you love).
Just find something you love, and get started. Here are some examples:
- Join gentle yoga or dance classes.
- Take a stroll with your dog (or cat!).
- Find joy in household chores that get your heart rate up.
In my case, I personally fell in love with a gentle dance class at the age of 43. And I had never danced before. Remember, you’re never too old to try new things. Just imagine, and you might find your new favorite hobby!
Mitochondria Supplements: Best Natural Options Supported by Science
- Rope Worm Parasite: Health Concern or Pseudoscience Term? - May 7, 2020
- How to Know If Parasite Cleanse is Working? Parasite Cleanse Timeline - April 26, 2020
- How To Clean Out Bowels Quickly: The One Day Natural Detox - April 8, 2020